Orange County News
Camera found inside Gap dressing room in OC
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A small camera was found inside a dressing room at a Gap store in Mission Viejo. Authorities say it was hidden in a picture frame.
The discovery was made by a female store worker who noticed a small camera staring back at her as she tried on clothes in a fitting room on Saturday afternoon.
Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department says the camera was concealed with black electrical tape and was very small - only a half inch to two inches at the most.
Marsha Kmec of Mission Viejo says she always checks the fitting room before trying on clothes.
"Call it paranoia or call it being skeptical about being in a changing room and thinking there are other eyes on you, but it is something I think about often," Kmec said.
How long the camera was in place is not clear, and who could have placed it there is unknown.
Authorities now going through the video to see if there are other victims or possibly the suspect caught on tape.
"Investigators are reviewing mall security surveillance film as well as surveillance video from the Gap store," Amormino said.
In a statement, the Gap said, "The safety and security of our customers and employees is our utmost priority. We at Gap, Inc. were concerned by the discovery in our Mission Viejo Gap store and immediately notified law enforcement to ensure a prompt investigation. We conduct privacy assurance audits of our stores, and have intensified these audits in the surrounding stores. We believe this to be an unfortunate and isolated incident."
Anyone with information about the case is urged to call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 40 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants