Orange County News
Camera found inside Gap dressing room in OC
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A small camera was found inside a dressing room at a Gap store in Mission Viejo. Authorities say it was hidden in a picture frame.
The discovery was made by a female store worker who noticed a small camera staring back at her as she tried on clothes in a fitting room on Saturday afternoon.
Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department says the camera was concealed with black electrical tape and was very small - only a half inch to two inches at the most.
Marsha Kmec of Mission Viejo says she always checks the fitting room before trying on clothes.
"Call it paranoia or call it being skeptical about being in a changing room and thinking there are other eyes on you, but it is something I think about often," Kmec said.
How long the camera was in place is not clear, and who could have placed it there is unknown.
Authorities now going through the video to see if there are other victims or possibly the suspect caught on tape.
"Investigators are reviewing mall security surveillance film as well as surveillance video from the Gap store," Amormino said.
In a statement, the Gap said, "The safety and security of our customers and employees is our utmost priority. We at Gap, Inc. were concerned by the discovery in our Mission Viejo Gap store and immediately notified law enforcement to ensure a prompt investigation. We conduct privacy assurance audits of our stores, and have intensified these audits in the surrounding stores. We believe this to be an unfortunate and isolated incident."
Anyone with information about the case is urged to call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- Bear spotted roaming Sun Valley neighborhood
24 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
54 min ago