Orange County News
ID theft, bank fraud investigation nets 7 arrests
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Federal and local officials have arrested seven people for identity theft and bank fraud estimated to be in the tens of millions of dollars.
Authorities said last Tuesday's arrests followed a year-long investigation. A majority of the victims are from California and Washington state.
The suspects would use fake driver's licenses to steal as much as $35,000 from a victim's bank account a day, according to investigators. Social Security cards and credit cards were also used as identification.
The crimes occurred inside bank branches all over the U.S. Officials seized several hundred thousand dollars in cash, jewelry and high-end cars. Major leads in the investigation came from the help of investigators at Chase Bank, Bank of America, and US Bank.
Authorities released the names and photos of five people who were arrested, including Deon Callis of Playa del Rey, who is believed to be the head of one of the rings; Larry Mohhamed of South Los Angeles; Ken Trapp of South Los Angeles, who is believed to be the head of another ring; Mauris Thompson, who was arrested in Indiana; and Leo Bardo Cantu of Bell, who is suspected of making fake IDs.
There are several more outstanding suspects. Anyone with information about the theft ring was asked to call the Huntington Beach Police Department at (714) 960-8848.
fraud, arrest, orange county news
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 3 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment 52 min ago
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 55 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report