Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit ends in death of suspect in Bellflower
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Fullerton officers and a suspect ended in deadly gunfire early Tuesday morning in Bellflower.
The pursuit began around 2:30 a.m. on Orangethorpe and Raymond avenues in Fullerton when the suspect refused to stop for officers after running a red light.
Police chased the suspect on and off the freeway before cornering him on the cul-de-sac at Palo Verde Avenue and Artesia Boulevard in Bellflower. Officers opened fire on the suspect after they say the driver tried to run them over. The suspect, said to be a male in his mid to late 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Multiple officers exited their vehicles at which time the suspect tried to run over several officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman.
Two Fullerton police officers unloaded more than 10 rounds on the suspect, according to sheriff's officials.
No officers were injured, but the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says the suspect collided with at least three police cruisers during the pursuit.
The area remained closed for hours for an investigation, which was taken over by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday night.
officer-involved shooting, pursuit, orange county news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 31 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 47 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 27 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 42 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2