Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit ends in death of suspect in Bellflower
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Fullerton officers and a suspect ended in deadly gunfire early Tuesday morning in Bellflower.
The pursuit began around 2:30 a.m. on Orangethorpe and Raymond avenues in Fullerton when the suspect refused to stop for officers after running a red light.
Police chased the suspect on and off the freeway before cornering him on the cul-de-sac at Palo Verde Avenue and Artesia Boulevard in Bellflower. Officers opened fire on the suspect after they say the driver tried to run them over. The suspect, said to be a male in his mid to late 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Multiple officers exited their vehicles at which time the suspect tried to run over several officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman.
Two Fullerton police officers unloaded more than 10 rounds on the suspect, according to sheriff's officials.
No officers were injured, but the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says the suspect collided with at least three police cruisers during the pursuit.
The area remained closed for hours for an investigation, which was taken over by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday night.
officer-involved shooting, pursuit, orange county news
- Wrong-way driver causes 8-car pileup on 14 Fwy
- South LA chase ends with crash, standoff
- Passenger rants about poison, CIA on plane
- West Hills murder suspect caught in motel room
- 911 caller in Pasadena shooting pleads guilty 39 min ago
- Motorcycle fleeing police crashes; 2 dead
- IE man dies after being crushed by cows
- Dog goes missing from Norco grooming shop
- Jimmy Hoffa search: FBI looks at MI field
- abcnews: Victim's grandson welcomes release of killer
- G8 meeting: Divisions over Syrian civil war
- Yoga may help kids' mental, physical health
- Jackson trial: Former record exec testifies
- OTRC: 'Girl Meets World' getting full series