Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit ends in death of suspect in Bellflower
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Fullerton officers and a suspect ended in deadly gunfire early Tuesday morning in Bellflower.
The pursuit began around 2:30 a.m. on Orangethorpe and Raymond avenues in Fullerton when the suspect refused to stop for officers after running a red light.
Police chased the suspect on and off the freeway before cornering him on the cul-de-sac at Palo Verde Avenue and Artesia Boulevard in Bellflower. Officers opened fire on the suspect after they say the driver tried to run them over. The suspect, said to be a male in his mid to late 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Multiple officers exited their vehicles at which time the suspect tried to run over several officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman.
Two Fullerton police officers unloaded more than 10 rounds on the suspect, according to sheriff's officials.
No officers were injured, but the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says the suspect collided with at least three police cruisers during the pursuit.
The area remained closed for hours for an investigation, which was taken over by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday night.
officer-involved shooting, pursuit, orange county news
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter