Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit ends in death of suspect in Bellflower
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Fullerton officers and a suspect ended in deadly gunfire early Tuesday morning in Bellflower.
The pursuit began around 2:30 a.m. on Orangethorpe and Raymond avenues in Fullerton when the suspect refused to stop for officers after running a red light.
Police chased the suspect on and off the freeway before cornering him on the cul-de-sac at Palo Verde Avenue and Artesia Boulevard in Bellflower. Officers opened fire on the suspect after they say the driver tried to run them over. The suspect, said to be a male in his mid to late 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Multiple officers exited their vehicles at which time the suspect tried to run over several officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman.
Two Fullerton police officers unloaded more than 10 rounds on the suspect, according to sheriff's officials.
No officers were injured, but the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says the suspect collided with at least three police cruisers during the pursuit.
The area remained closed for hours for an investigation, which was taken over by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday night.
officer-involved shooting, pursuit, orange county news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 54 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 32 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 27 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
22 min ago