Orange County News
Fullerton pursuit ends in death of suspect in Bellflower
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A pursuit involving Fullerton officers and a suspect ended in deadly gunfire early Tuesday morning in Bellflower.
The pursuit began around 2:30 a.m. on Orangethorpe and Raymond avenues in Fullerton when the suspect refused to stop for officers after running a red light.
Police chased the suspect on and off the freeway before cornering him on the cul-de-sac at Palo Verde Avenue and Artesia Boulevard in Bellflower. Officers opened fire on the suspect after they say the driver tried to run them over. The suspect, said to be a male in his mid to late 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Multiple officers exited their vehicles at which time the suspect tried to run over several officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred," said L.A. County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman.
Two Fullerton police officers unloaded more than 10 rounds on the suspect, according to sheriff's officials.
No officers were injured, but the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says the suspect collided with at least three police cruisers during the pursuit.
The area remained closed for hours for an investigation, which was taken over by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday night.
officer-involved shooting, pursuit, orange county news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done 29 min ago
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera 56 min ago
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 29 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine' 36 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry