Orange County News
Laguna Hills suspicious stabbing deemed homicide, person of interest detained
LAGUNA HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Police in Arizona have detained a person of interest in the stabbing death of a young woman in Laguna Hills.
Investigators say a 23-year-old woman was stabbed several times in the bedroom of a home in Laguna Village. The incident was first being investigated as a suspicious death but was deemed a homicide late Saturday, making it the first homicide in the city in eight years.
The person who discovered the woman's body Saturday morning administered CPR until paramedics arrived.
"The homeowner was actually not home at the time, and she came home and discovered the body. Then the 911 call was placed," said Orange County Sheriff's Department Lt. Mike Gavin.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Homicide detectives named Derek Pinski as a person of interest in the case. A friend tells Eyewitness News the victim was Pinski's girlfriend, but authorities have not confirmed the relationship.
Investigators called Pinksi's father and Mesa, Ariz. police thinking Pinski was heading to his father's house.
"We spoke with the father because we found out he lived out in Mesa, so we just wanted to let him know what had occurred. It was on the news and it was also on the news over in Arizona as well," said Gavin.
Their hunch was correct. Pinski arrived at his father's house and surrendered to Mesa police for questioning Saturday night.
The sheriff's department is not calling Pinski a suspect at this time. Investigators are still collecting evidence at the home and say the investigation is ongoing.
stabbing, orange county news, melissa macbride
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised