Orange County News
Search called off for missing swimmer in Dana Point
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- The search for a missing swimmer from Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point was canceled on Monday afternoon.
According to investigators, 34-year-old Frank Daniel Austin of Rowland Heights man disappeared while swimming in the ocean with his mother Sunday. He was last seen going into the water at about 4 p.m. His mother reported him missing just after 7 p.m. Rescue crews searched for the man for five hours until it was too dark to continue.
"All of the sudden, we saw a lot of police and fire trucks on the beach, and we realized that somebody must have been out in the water, and that they were looking for him," said Julie Weinstein, who was vacationing in the area.
A Coast Guard helicopter scoured the surf from the sky, while Orange County deputies patrolled the water and lifeguards searched a three-mile stretch of the coastline.
The search was called off at about 3 p.m.
Authorities say the rough surf may have contributed to the possible drowning. The surf was breaking 5-7 feet on Sunday.
beach, missing person, surf, orange county news, q mccray
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film