Orange County News
Anaheim police officers involved in July fatal shootings back on job
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- The Anaheim police officers involved in two deadly shootings are back on their beats.
Both officers returned to work on Tuesday after being cleared by a psychologist. The officers had been on paid leave, which is standard protocol. Sgt. Bob Dunn with Anaheim police said the department has decided against naming the officers, because they and the city have received threats.
The back-to-back shootings sparked massive demonstrations - some of which turned violent at times.
Manuel Diaz, the first man to be fatally shot by police, was shot and killed by police on July 21. Officers said Diaz failed to heed orders, threw something as he fled police and then was killed when he reached for his waistband. Police say Diaz was a documented gang member from Santa Ana with a criminal record. It was later confirmed that Diaz was not armed.
Police also shot and killed Joel Acevedo, a documented gang member from Anaheim, according to police. Officials say Acevedo shot at officers at the end of a pursuit July 22 in a stolen SUV.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 21 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 23 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange 38 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling 10 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 3 min ago