Orange County News
Dirty adult diapers found dumped on OC road
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A foul discovery was made along a busy road in Orange County: Someone dumped dirty adults diapers, and this wasn't the first time.
Authorities say someone dumped the dirty diapers along MacArthur Boulevard in Newport Beach early Thursday morning.
"That's amazing, that's disgusting, terrible," said Mark Soliman of Irvine.
Police say the illegal dumping of dozens of dirty diapers started last year in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. The diapers were thrown out mostly along Coast Highway in Newport Beach, and within the traffic lanes between the north city limits of Laguna and the Emerald Bay main entrance.
"It's difficult to determine who's doing this. We have contacted the local assisted living facilities and determined they are not responsible for it," said Newport Beach Police spokesperson Kathy Lowe.
Lowe said those facilities have companies that pick up diapers and dispose of them.
"This definitely appears to be someone that's purposely leaving them in those areas because they do occur in the same area each time," Lowe said.
Residents and cyclists are usually the first to have to avoid the mess.
"I would ride around it. You wouldn't want to hit it," said Amir Bastawrous, a cyclist in the area.
The person or persons responsible face a misdemeanor charge of littering, with fines starting at $100.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Newport Beach Police Department (949) 644-3775.
environment, orange county news, eileen frere
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 12 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 43 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)
- Pet of the Week: 6-yr-old terrier mix Tillie
30 min ago