Orange County News
Nadia Lockyer gets supervised visits with son after drug, child abuse charges
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Nadia Lockyer, the estranged wife of State Treasurer Bill Lockyer, made a brief court appearance in Santa Ana on Monday for drug possession and child abuse charges.
She received permission to have supervised visitations with her 9-year-old son, so long as his father is present.
"All the provisions of the protective order about not annoying, stalking, harassing, that sort of thing, will remain in effect, but it does allow her to have personal contact visitations with her son if he is accompanied by his father. It also allows telephonic contact," said Andrew Katz, a prosecutor with the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
She had previously pleaded not guilty to one felony count of drug possession, two misdemeanor charges and one misdemeanor count of child abuse. She faces up to five years in prison if convicted of the charges.
She made a brief statement to the public following her court appearance.
"I'm extremely happy to be receiving the help that I need, and focusing on getting healthy, and I hope to inspire many, many, many others to do the same," she said.
Acting on a tip, Orange police went to the home of a relative where Lockyer was staying with her son on Aug. 28. According to the Orange County District Attorney's Office, police found methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia at the home.
Lockyer was not home at the time but was located and arrested later that same day by police, who say she showed "objective signs of meth intoxication." She was released on her own recognizance to rehabilitation on Aug. 30.
Nadia Lockyer, 41, was considered a political rising star in Northern California. In 2012, she was elected to a county seat for the Alameda County Board of Supervisors. Bill Lockyer filed for divorce from Nadia Lockyer in July.
orange county news, sid garcia
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 10 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating 46 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)