Orange County News
'$5K Bandit' robs same Los Alamitos bank 3 times in 14 months
LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. (KABC) -- A knife-wielding suspect robbed a US Bank branch in Los Alamitos for the third time in 14 months on Tuesday, police said.
The suspect, dubbed the "$5K Bandit" by the FBI, entered the bank branch located at 10942 Pine Street in Los Alamitos at 9:12 a.m. Tuesday. He demanded money from tellers and threatened them with a large butcher knife. The suspect jumped over the bank counter with the knife in his hand.
The suspect is described as muscular African-American man with a dark complexion, between 30 to 40 years old, last seen wearing a gray long-sleeve shirt, dark or black pants, gloves, sunglasses and a black logo baseball cap with a broad red bill.
The suspect used a large black bag similar to a backpack to carry the stolen money. He left the branch on foot through its west doors.
Los Alamitos, Seal Beach and Cypress police officers and FBI investigators responded to the scene. Police said the first unit arrived on scene within four minutes of the robbery call.
A man matching the general description of the suspect was briefly detained until it was determined he was not involved, and he was released.
No injuries were reported.
The amount of money stolen was not disclosed.
Anyone with information about the case should contact Los Alamitos Police Detective Jake Sorenson at (562) 431-2255, extension 407.
You can also contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS or the FBI's Los Angeles office at (310) 477-6565.
bank robbery, robbery, orange county news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 9 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke