Orange County News
2 injured in Dana Point in mock sea battle with real ammunition
DANA POINT, Calif (KABC) -- Two women taking part in a mock sea battle were hit with real ammunition Saturday when buckshot was loaded into one ship's cannon instead of blanks.
Part of a Dana Point festival, the tall ships were in town to celebrate America's maritime history.
The festival included the ships firing blanks from cannons at each other, but somehow The Amazing Grace, a tall ship based in Gig Harbor, Wash., fired real buckshot at the vessel Bill of Rights.
The women onboard, identified as Bill of Rights deckhand Donna Reed and volunteer Laura Huber, were struck with multiple pellets and left with minor injuries. It's not clear how the buckshot ended up getting loaded into the cannon.
orange county news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 57 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited 6 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis