Orange County News
Teen found pouring gas outside sleeping mom's bedroom after argument
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A California teen was caught allegedly pouring gasoline around his sleeping mother's house by his stepfather Sunday night.
"All along the wall, so he tried to burn us up," said victim Olivia Trujillo while pointing to where she says her 16-year-old son doused her flower beds with gasoline following an argument.
"He got really mad, so he tried to put gasoline," Trujillo said.
The victim said she and her son had argued about his out of control behavior and her suspicions about drug use early Sunday night. The night prior, her son had gone to a party despite being told he couldn't. Her husband who is her son's stepfather stepped into the argument after her son became violent and pushed her.
"He was waiting for us to go to sleep so could come back and light it up. He had everything ready," said Trujillo.
The suspect's plan included setting fire to the house and the area directly outside his mother's bedroom window. Trujillo said she doesn't know what would have happened had her husband not turned off the air conditioner and opened a window.
"A few seconds after he opened the window, my little one said, 'Oh mom it smells bad, it smells gas,' my husband jumped out of the bed," Trujillo said.
Trujillo's husband walked outside the Tustin home and caught his 16-year-old step son carrying a gasoline can. When asked about it, the high school sophomore confessed.
"He said I want you dead, I want you to die," Trujillo said.
Her son is now at the Orange County Juvenile Detention Center charged with attempted murder of his mother.
Despite being shaken and tired after a long night's ordeal, Trujillo is still worried about her son's welfare.
"It's my son, you know, and I don't want him to be in jail for a long time. We're afraid too, so I don't know what's going to happen," said Trujillo.
arrest, arson, murder, orange county news, leticia juarez
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault 34 min ago
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders 44 min ago
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed 30 min ago
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
5 min ago