Orange County News
Arrest in Newport Beach hit-and-run accident
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A 39-year-old man has been arrested in a hit-and-run accident in Newport Beach that left a bicyclist dead over the weekend.
Authorities say Catherine Ritz of Irvine was riding with her husband on Newport Coast Drive between Ocean Vista and Vista Ridge at about 9:45 a.m. Saturday when she was hit by a black pickup truck. The driver of the truck fled the scene without stopping to help the victim.
Ritz was rushed to Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo, where she later died from her injuries.
Police say Michael Jason Lopez of Anaheim was arrested at about 2 a.m. Tuesday, and the vehicle believed to be involved was also recovered.
Lopez was booked at the Newport Beach Police Jail and is being held on $100,000 bail.
hit and run, orange county news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes 29 min ago
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10