Orange County News
Arrest in Newport Beach hit-and-run accident
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A 39-year-old man has been arrested in a hit-and-run accident in Newport Beach that left a bicyclist dead over the weekend.
Authorities say Catherine Ritz of Irvine was riding with her husband on Newport Coast Drive between Ocean Vista and Vista Ridge at about 9:45 a.m. Saturday when she was hit by a black pickup truck. The driver of the truck fled the scene without stopping to help the victim.
Ritz was rushed to Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo, where she later died from her injuries.
Police say Michael Jason Lopez of Anaheim was arrested at about 2 a.m. Tuesday, and the vehicle believed to be involved was also recovered.
Lopez was booked at the Newport Beach Police Jail and is being held on $100,000 bail.
hit and run, orange county news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 40 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 4 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 40 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'