Orange County News
Arrest in Newport Beach hit-and-run accident
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A 39-year-old man has been arrested in a hit-and-run accident in Newport Beach that left a bicyclist dead over the weekend.
Authorities say Catherine Ritz of Irvine was riding with her husband on Newport Coast Drive between Ocean Vista and Vista Ridge at about 9:45 a.m. Saturday when she was hit by a black pickup truck. The driver of the truck fled the scene without stopping to help the victim.
Ritz was rushed to Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo, where she later died from her injuries.
Police say Michael Jason Lopez of Anaheim was arrested at about 2 a.m. Tuesday, and the vehicle believed to be involved was also recovered.
Lopez was booked at the Newport Beach Police Jail and is being held on $100,000 bail.
hit and run, orange county news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 25 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 41 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 21 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 36 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2