Orange County News
Kelly Thomas formally cleared of wrongdoing
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- It's been 14-months since Kelly Thomas was beaten by six Fullerton police officers. The mentally ill and homeless man died five days later. Since that day, his father, Ron Thomas, has been fighting for justice.
"I've always wants Kelly's name cleared," he said. "The accusations that he broke officers' bones, he had stolen property in a stolen backpack, that he tried to break into cars, all of that has gone away."
On Tuesday, the Fullerton Police Department formally cleared Thomas of any wrongdoing.
During the City Council meeting, acting Police Chief Dan Hughes read a statement reiterating an independent consultant's finding that officers instigated the beating.
Thomas says he has notched another victory in his son's name.
"It's some closure that's just another part of getting justice for Kelly," the father said.
The victories have been bittersweet. The photo of a badly beaten Kelly Thomas, along with surveillance video of the confrontation, set in motion a series events. Protests erupted in Fullerton over the beating, the police chief retired, three City Council members were recalled from office and two of the officers involved in the beating - Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli are set to go to trial next year.
legal, orange county news, leticia juarez
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire 49 min ago
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace 39 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies 24 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)