Orange County News
Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange gets new bishop
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- Pope Benedict XVI has appointed a new bishop to take over the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange to replace the current bishop who is retiring.
Bishop Tod Brown is leaving after 14 years because he has reached the Vatican's mandatory retirement age of 75. Bishop Kevin Vann of Fort Worth, Texas will replace Brown and lead the nearly 1.3 Roman Catholics in the Diocese of Orange. He will be installed in December as the diocese's fourth bishop.
However, the change is not without controversy. The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests has criticized both bishops for the way they have handled sex abuse allegations. The group claims Brown tried to cover-up abuse allegations and Vann refused to remove allegedly abusive priests and would not apologize to victims.
Vann says he tried to be upfront about abuse as allegations came to light, and after meeting with victims he has an understanding of their situations. Brown received an award from a Catholic foundation for his "extraordinary courage and compassion" in settling a $100 million abuse settlement in 2005 involving 90 victims claiming abuse by Orange County priests, nuns and lay teachers. It was the largest settlement ever of its kind.
City News Service contributed to this report.
orange county news
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 53 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 27 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 39 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
45 min ago