Orange County News
Anaheim police overtime skyrockets after protests over fatal officer shootings
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Overtime costs at the Anaheim Police Department skyrocketed last month following protests over deadly police shootings.
The department spent nearly three times the monthly average to respond to street protests after a series of officer-involved shootings.
The Los Angeles Times reports the nearly 25,000 hours of overtime in August cost the department $1.7 million.
Manuel Diaz, the first man to be fatally shot by police, was shot and killed by police on July 21. Officers said Diaz failed to heed orders, threw something as he fled police and then was killed when he reached for his waistband. Police say Diaz was a documented gang member from Santa Ana with a criminal record. It was later confirmed that Diaz was not armed.
Police also shot and killed Joel Acevedo, a documented gang member from Anaheim, according to police. Officials say Acevedo shot at officers at the end of a pursuit July 22 in a stolen SUV.
Protests over the shootings sometimes grew violent, with people setting fire to trash bins, breaking windows and looting shops.
The Anaheim Police Department's budget is about $115 million per year and has 536 sworn and civilian employees. It recently lifted a years-long hiring freeze.
Mayor Tom Tait said the overtime is a very small portion of the city budget, which is about $240 million.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 21 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash 27 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 5 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Cañada Flintridge 52 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 42 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 46 min ago
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 10 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks