Orange County News
Breast cancer survivors celebrate at OC Race for the Cure
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Breast cancer survivors along with family, friends and community members gathered to celebrate life and a future hope for breast cancer research at the 21st annual Susan G. Komen Orange County Race for the Cure in Newport Beach on Sunday.
Over 20,000 runners kicked off the 5K run/walk at Fashion Island as early as 7:15 a.m. One-thousand of those registered participants were breast cancer survivors. Female survivors sported pink T-shirt and hats, while male survivors wore gray.
Komen's goal was to raise $3 million at this year's event. According to the Orange County Race for the Cure website, over 22,000 participants raised $3 million for the event in 2011. That effort turned the race into the largest event of its kind in Orange County.
Of that money, 75 percent stays in Orange County for breast cancer screening and education, while the remainder goes toward breast cancer research.
Marie La Fargue, a three-time breast cancer survivor, was named the 2012 Most Influential Survivor at addressed a crowd of survivors at the race.
"I'm here to show inspiration and hope to all the women here because I'm here after three separate and distinct breast cancers and 19 years of survivorship," said La Fargue.
La Fargue was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993 and believes in early detection. Statistics show one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
ABC7 Orange County bureau chief Eileen Frere had the honor of starting Sunday's race. Consumer specialist Ric Romero, Inland Empire bureau chief Rob McMillan and reporter Leticia Juarez were also on-hand to greet fans at a booth during the event. ABC7 is a sponsor of the event.
charity, cancer, health, women's health, orange county news, eileen frere
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 18 min ago
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged 57 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor 45 min ago
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)