Orange County News
Breast cancer survivors celebrate at OC Race for the Cure
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Breast cancer survivors along with family, friends and community members gathered to celebrate life and a future hope for breast cancer research at the 21st annual Susan G. Komen Orange County Race for the Cure in Newport Beach on Sunday.
Over 20,000 runners kicked off the 5K run/walk at Fashion Island as early as 7:15 a.m. One-thousand of those registered participants were breast cancer survivors. Female survivors sported pink T-shirt and hats, while male survivors wore gray.
Komen's goal was to raise $3 million at this year's event. According to the Orange County Race for the Cure website, over 22,000 participants raised $3 million for the event in 2011. That effort turned the race into the largest event of its kind in Orange County.
Of that money, 75 percent stays in Orange County for breast cancer screening and education, while the remainder goes toward breast cancer research.
Marie La Fargue, a three-time breast cancer survivor, was named the 2012 Most Influential Survivor at addressed a crowd of survivors at the race.
"I'm here to show inspiration and hope to all the women here because I'm here after three separate and distinct breast cancers and 19 years of survivorship," said La Fargue.
La Fargue was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993 and believes in early detection. Statistics show one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
ABC7 Orange County bureau chief Eileen Frere had the honor of starting Sunday's race. Consumer specialist Ric Romero, Inland Empire bureau chief Rob McMillan and reporter Leticia Juarez were also on-hand to greet fans at a booth during the event. ABC7 is a sponsor of the event.
charity, cancer, health, women's health, orange county news, eileen frere
- Oklahoma tornadoes level homes, kill man 3 min ago
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested