Orange County News
Anaheim mother convicted of suffocating newborn in restaurant restroom
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 21-year-old Anaheim woman was convicted Friday of murdering her newborn baby immediately after birth in 2009.
A jury found Juana Perez Valencia guilty of one felony count of second-degree murder and a felony count of assault on a child with force likely to produce great bodily injury resulting in death.
On the night of December 22, 2009, Valencia suffocated her newborn baby immediately after she gave birth in a restaurant restroom in Stanton where she was a server. Valencia then put the baby in a plastic bag and disposed of the body in a trash bin.
The next day she went to an Anaheim hospital for treatment, claiming she was hurt in a fall and denying she had given birth. Hospital staff contacted the Anaheim Police Department. The Orange County Sheriff's Department took over the case, discovered the baby and arrested Valencia.
Friday's conviction capped the end of a retrial of the case. A jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict in January.
Valencia faces 25 years to life in state prison. She is scheduled for sentencing on November 9.
orange county news
- Metro Red, Purple lines to require Tap Card 30 min ago
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies 24 min ago
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA surveillance has saved lives - Obama
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
15 min ago