Orange County News
Gang member sentenced for Santa Ana restaurant murder
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Ana gang member was convicted Thursday of fatally shooting an unarmed man in front of restaurant in 2011.
Ivan Sanchez, 23, was found guilty of one felony count of murder with a sentencing enhancement for the personal discharge of a firearm causing death.
Ricardo Rocha was convicted as a co-defendant in the crime in June. He received 40 years to life in state prison. His sister, Maria Rocha is also charged.
Sanchez and the two Rochas got in an argument on the night of February 13, 2011, at Mariscos La Ola restaurant in Santa Ana. The three defendants left and returned with a firearm.
Esteban Navarrete, 35, and his wife were leaving the restaurant when Sanchez and Ricardo Rocha approached him. Maria stayed in their car as a getaway driver. Navarrete explained he was not involved in the earlier argument. Sanchez shot him in the head. He fired several other shots but did not hit anyone else.
Sanchez was arrested four days later in a traffic stop.
Sanchez faces 50 years to life in state prison at his sentencing, scheduled for December 7.
shooting, orange county news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 21 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire 10 min ago
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster 3 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 13 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg 18 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah...
9 min ago