Orange County News
Gang member sentenced for Santa Ana restaurant murder
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Ana gang member was convicted Thursday of fatally shooting an unarmed man in front of restaurant in 2011.
Ivan Sanchez, 23, was found guilty of one felony count of murder with a sentencing enhancement for the personal discharge of a firearm causing death.
Ricardo Rocha was convicted as a co-defendant in the crime in June. He received 40 years to life in state prison. His sister, Maria Rocha is also charged.
Sanchez and the two Rochas got in an argument on the night of February 13, 2011, at Mariscos La Ola restaurant in Santa Ana. The three defendants left and returned with a firearm.
Esteban Navarrete, 35, and his wife were leaving the restaurant when Sanchez and Ricardo Rocha approached him. Maria stayed in their car as a getaway driver. Navarrete explained he was not involved in the earlier argument. Sanchez shot him in the head. He fired several other shots but did not hit anyone else.
Sanchez was arrested four days later in a traffic stop.
Sanchez faces 50 years to life in state prison at his sentencing, scheduled for December 7.
shooting, orange county news
- Moorpark High on lockdown after threat made 5 min ago
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped 30 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 53 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'