Orange County News
OC businessman arraigned for stealing $2.7M worth of wine from his client wine cellars
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Newport Beach man has been charged with second degree commercial burglary, grand theft, and embezzlement after stealing nearly $3 million in vintage wines from his clients' storage lockers.
The suspect, George Osumi, 64, operated "Legend Cellars, Inc." in Irvine between Jan. 1, 2008 and June 21, 2012. The business allowed people to store their wine in storage lockers at a controlled temperature.
According to prosecutors, Osumi entered the private storage lockers of three different owners and switched bottles of wine with an estimated value of $2.7 million for cheaper wine bottles.
Ossumi directly auctioned some of the stolen wine bottles and deposited the money into his business account. He is also accused of hiring an unwitting friend to auction off some of the stolen wine in exchange for a portion of the proceeds.
In all, Osumi is accused of depositing $590,965 worth of stolen wine bottles into his business account and using the money to pay for personal expenses and legal fees.
The charges Osumi faces include three felony counts of second degree commercial burglary, one felony count of grand theft, embezzlement by employee, receiving stolen property, and one misdemeanor count for possession of burglary tools.
The defendant is also being charged with tax and insurance fraud in a separate case.
The former businessman faces a maximum sentence of 16 years and four months in state prison. He is being held on $4 million bail.
Anyone who stores their wine at Legend Cellars, Inc. is urged to call Irvine Police Department Detective Sarah Tunnicliffe at (949) 724-7170 by Nov. 30, 2012 to reclaim possession of their wine.
arrest, burglary, fraud, scams, orange county news
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out 24 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
22 min ago