Orange County News
Man sentenced to 6 years for running Garden Grove cop over during traffic stop
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Fullerton man was sentenced to six years in prison Friday for assaulting a Garden Grove officer with his car and dragging him several feet while fleeing a November traffic stop.
Marcos Gonzalez, 28, pleaded guilty to one felony count of assault of a police officer Thursday.
The incident occurred Nov. 2, 2011 around 9:30 a.m. in the 1300 block of Brookhurst Street after Garden Grove Police Officer Starnes pulled Gonzalez over for not wearing a seatbelt.
While approaching the defendant's green 2002 four-door Infiniti Q35, Starnes smelled a strong odor of marijuana. The officer asked the defendant to step out of the vehicle and sit on the curb.
While the officer called for back-up, Gonzalez jumped back in his car. Officer Starnes attempted to stop the defendant but was knocked down after being hit by the driver's side door. Gonzalez then put the car into reverse and attempted to flee, meanwhile dragging Starnes several feet.
Officer Starnes was taken to the hospital and treated for moderate back injuries including abrasions and bruises.
According to a press release from the Orange County District Attorney's Office, Garden Grove Police Department officers arrested Gonzalez after a three-day manhunt on Nov. 5, 2011.
The suspect was sentenced Friday to six years for the assault, sentencing enhancements for causing great bodily injury, and his prior conviction in 2007 for possession of a controlled substance for sale.
sentencing, orange county news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate