Orange County News
Seal Beach salon shooting: Candlelight vigil held for 1st anniversary
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- It was an emotional gathering in Seal Beach Thursday night as many came together to remember the first anniversary of a deadly shooting at a salon.
It will be one year ago Friday that a gunman opened fire at Salon Meritage, killing eight people. It was the worst mass murder in Orange County history.
The candlelight vigil was held at Eisenhower Park, a few blocks from where the shooting took place. Friends and relatives of the victims are still struggling to deal with the tragedy.
"None of us will ever be the same after this horrible tragedy, but love and goodness has to win out over hate and evil," said Sandi Fannin, former salon co-owner.
The accused gunman, 42-year-old Scott Dekraai, has pleaded not guilty to the eight murders and is awaiting trial.
court case, shooting, orange county news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Yosemite park's tourist amenities at stake
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people 32 min ago
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video