Orange County News
Seal Beach salon shooting: Candlelight vigil held for 1st anniversary
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- It was an emotional gathering in Seal Beach Thursday night as many came together to remember the first anniversary of a deadly shooting at a salon.
It will be one year ago Friday that a gunman opened fire at Salon Meritage, killing eight people. It was the worst mass murder in Orange County history.
The candlelight vigil was held at Eisenhower Park, a few blocks from where the shooting took place. Friends and relatives of the victims are still struggling to deal with the tragedy.
"None of us will ever be the same after this horrible tragedy, but love and goodness has to win out over hate and evil," said Sandi Fannin, former salon co-owner.
The accused gunman, 42-year-old Scott Dekraai, has pleaded not guilty to the eight murders and is awaiting trial.
court case, shooting, orange county news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 21 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 15 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 11 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 39 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present