Orange County News
Anaheim Police Association worker embezzled money by changing paycheck
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- An office manager at the Anaheim Police Association allegedly embezzled over $360,000 from work by altering her paychecks.
The Orange County District Attorney alleges that Cindy Ann Su'a used a typewriter correction feature to change her bi-monthly payment amount from $2,489 to $5,489 or $6,489 after the checks were signed by her bosses.
The DA says Su'a carried out this fraud between August 2007 and March 2012, even paying herself $200,000 in one year. Also, she is accused of using her work's online banking to pay her personal bills.
The fraud came into light when the Anaheim Police Association's president noticed a discrepancy in Su'a's intended annual salary and actual income after receiving an IRS notices regarding her failure to file taxes.
Su'a , 47, of Whittier, is charged with 117 felony counts of forgery, 23 felony counts of computer access fraud and two felony counts of willful failure to file tax returns. She also faces sentencing enhancements for over $100,000 loss, aggravated white collar crime over $100,000 and property loss over $200,000.
Su'a faces a maximum sentence of 99 years in state prison if convicted. She is being held on $360,000 bail and must prove the money is from a legal source before posting bond.
Her husband, John, is also accused of failing to file tax returns. He faces a maximum sentence of three years and eight months in state prison if convicted. He is being held on $20,000 bail.
fraud, orange county news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 41 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)