Orange County News
Newport Beach couple kidnapped, abandoned in Mojave Desert
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way into the alleged kidnapping of a Newport Beach couple. Police say they were tied up and taken to the Mojave Desert.
Authorities were notified by the Kern County Sheriff's Department about a possible kidnapping on Oct. 2. According to Newport Beach Police Lt. Jon Lewis, three suspects entered the victims' home in the 100 block of 25th Street and bound the couple. They were blindfolded and driven to the Mojave Desert.
Police arrested one suspect, identified as 33-year-old Kyle Shirakawa Handley, on Oct. 6.
Kern County deputies found the victims in a secluded area off of Highway 14. Sources close to the investigation say the male victim's penis was partially severed.
"During the kidnapping, ... the male victim was brutally beaten in an attempt to extort money," Lewis said.
Police believe the motive was money, but would not release any other details.
Neighbors say the people in the home kept to themselves, but there was a lot of activity, sometimes late into the night.
Detectives are searching for two more suspects. Anyone with information is urged to call the Newport Beach Police Department in (800) 550-NBPD.
kidnap, orange county news, carlos granda
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre