Orange County News
Newport Beach couple kidnapped, abandoned in Mojave Desert
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way into the alleged kidnapping of a Newport Beach couple. Police say they were tied up and taken to the Mojave Desert.
Authorities were notified by the Kern County Sheriff's Department about a possible kidnapping on Oct. 2. According to Newport Beach Police Lt. Jon Lewis, three suspects entered the victims' home in the 100 block of 25th Street and bound the couple. They were blindfolded and driven to the Mojave Desert.
Police arrested one suspect, identified as 33-year-old Kyle Shirakawa Handley, on Oct. 6.
Kern County deputies found the victims in a secluded area off of Highway 14. Sources close to the investigation say the male victim's penis was partially severed.
"During the kidnapping, ... the male victim was brutally beaten in an attempt to extort money," Lewis said.
Police believe the motive was money, but would not release any other details.
Neighbors say the people in the home kept to themselves, but there was a lot of activity, sometimes late into the night.
Detectives are searching for two more suspects. Anyone with information is urged to call the Newport Beach Police Department in (800) 550-NBPD.
kidnap, orange county news, carlos granda
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 1 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts