Orange County News
Controversial Huntington Beach coyote control plan suggested
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Huntington Beach Mayor Pro Tem Devin Dwyer on Monday planned to ask the City Council to support a controversial coyote control plan.
The plan recommends hiring a licensed professional to trap and kill the coyotes. Dwyer says there have been more than 200 coyote sightings and 26 pets killed in the last several months.
The plan, which aims to trap and kill up to 10 coyotes at a cost of $4,000, has proved to be divisive among residents.
"I'm not looking to kill all the coyotes," Dwyer said. "I'm just looking to thin the herd a little bit, get rid of the aggressive ones."In a statement, the Humane Society of the United States says, "trapping problem coyotes does not address the root causes of coyote conflicts and thus conflicts will continue. The best way to prevent attacks on pets is to educate residents about the importance of keeping cats inside, keeping dogs on leashes, and attending pets when outside."
Another potential measure is an ordinance to outlaw the feeding of coyotes and other non-domestic animals in residential neighborhoods. The Humane Society supports this proposal.
Huntington Beach resident Bob Deaton said a coyote killed his cat more than a year ago.
"I'm carrying a stick and a pocketful of rocks when I walk the dog," he said. "I've seen coyotes like four times in a month."
animal news, orange county news, eileen frere
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 37 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 31 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 28 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 17 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'