Orange County News
Controversial Huntington Beach coyote control plan suggested
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Huntington Beach Mayor Pro Tem Devin Dwyer on Monday planned to ask the City Council to support a controversial coyote control plan.
The plan recommends hiring a licensed professional to trap and kill the coyotes. Dwyer says there have been more than 200 coyote sightings and 26 pets killed in the last several months.
The plan, which aims to trap and kill up to 10 coyotes at a cost of $4,000, has proved to be divisive among residents.
"I'm not looking to kill all the coyotes," Dwyer said. "I'm just looking to thin the herd a little bit, get rid of the aggressive ones."In a statement, the Humane Society of the United States says, "trapping problem coyotes does not address the root causes of coyote conflicts and thus conflicts will continue. The best way to prevent attacks on pets is to educate residents about the importance of keeping cats inside, keeping dogs on leashes, and attending pets when outside."
Another potential measure is an ordinance to outlaw the feeding of coyotes and other non-domestic animals in residential neighborhoods. The Humane Society supports this proposal.
Huntington Beach resident Bob Deaton said a coyote killed his cat more than a year ago.
"I'm carrying a stick and a pocketful of rocks when I walk the dog," he said. "I've seen coyotes like four times in a month."
animal news, orange county news, eileen frere
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 4 min ago
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise 30 min ago
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims