Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral case: Schullers paid fraction of millions sought
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Rev. Robert Schuller and his family have been awarded less than a million dollars, far short of the $5 million they were seeking in the Crystal Cathedral bankruptcy case.
Schuller founded the ministry, which included its signature church in Garden Grove. But he and his family left the organization shortly after it filed for bankruptcy in 2010.
The Schullers claim they are owed millions for unpaid contracts and copyright infringements. Schuller was awarded only $615,625 for housing allowances, health insurance premiums and unpaid compensation from the ministry.
His daughter, Carol Schuller Milner, and her husband, Tim Milner, sought $272,000 but together were awarded only $77,615, according to the Orange County Register. Schuller's daughter on Tuesday said she believed that the judge disregarded much of the evidence.
The ministry filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2010, citing $50 million in debts. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange bought the cathedral.
Schuller built the Crystal Cathedral in 1980 and gave weekly sermons that were broadcast live around the world as the "Hour of Power." The show at its high point attracted 20 million viewers.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 41 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged 10 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor 18 min ago
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest 28 min ago
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Shaving heads to help fight childhood cancer
24 min ago