Orange County News
Seal Beach gas station shooting: Officer fatally shoots suspect
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was fatally shot by an officer in Seal Beach on Saturday after reportedly violating a restraining order.
It all began around 4:30 p.m. when police responded to a call from a woman in Garden Grove saying the suspect had violated a restraining order for domestic violence. Officers spotted the suspect and the chase was on.
When he reached Seal Beach he bailed out of his car and took off for a gas station at Seal Beach and Westminster boulevards.
"The suspect got out on foot and tried to carjack one of the people pumping gas at the gas station," said Garden grove Police Department Lt. Jeff Nightengale.
The suspect and male victim struggled. A Garden Grove officer intervened and opened fire. The suspect was transported to Long Beach Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Police say a weapon was recovered at the scene. Authorities are now checking the gas station's surveillance video, as the deadly incident was likely caught on camera.
Garden Grove as well as Seal Beach police and the Orange County District Attorney's Office are investigating the shooting.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news, leanne suter
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 29 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
13 min ago