Orange County News
Girl struck by hit-run driver in Santa Ana
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police are searching for a driver who struck a 7-year-old girl and fled the scene Tuesday.
The hit-and-run accident happened around 5 p.m. in front of the family's apartment building on Birch Street in Santa Ana. Some of the girl's siblings said they witnessed the collision as they were moving into their new home.
The girl, Evelyn Sanchez, ran out into the street, surveillance video shows. The driver of a dark Toyota 4Runner hit the girl and dragged her 30 feet before she was thrown from the SUV. The driver kept going.
The girl's mother ran to her aid.
"She had my sister and she was bleeding and she was crying and told someone to call 911. She was desperate," said the victim's young sister, Kimberly Rios.
The girl was in stable condition and recovering at the hospital.
Anthony Bertagna of the Santa Ana Police Department said investigators hope the public will provide some leads.
"We're hoping people see the vehicle," Bertagna said. "We believe there's damage to the vehicle, more than likely to the right front and possibly the front."
The family said they hope the driver surrenders to police.
Anyone with information on the case was asked to call Santa Ana police at (714) 245-8665.
hit and run, caught on tape, orange county news, leanne suter
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 8 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: US travel warnings from other countries 20 min ago
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Crime Stoppers director swallows evidence
26 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
23 min ago