Orange County News
Girl struck by hit-run driver in Santa Ana
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police are searching for a driver who struck a 7-year-old girl and fled the scene Tuesday.
The hit-and-run accident happened around 5 p.m. in front of the family's apartment building on Birch Street in Santa Ana. Some of the girl's siblings said they witnessed the collision as they were moving into their new home.
The girl, Evelyn Sanchez, ran out into the street, surveillance video shows. The driver of a dark Toyota 4Runner hit the girl and dragged her 30 feet before she was thrown from the SUV. The driver kept going.
The girl's mother ran to her aid.
"She had my sister and she was bleeding and she was crying and told someone to call 911. She was desperate," said the victim's young sister, Kimberly Rios.
The girl was in stable condition and recovering at the hospital.
Anthony Bertagna of the Santa Ana Police Department said investigators hope the public will provide some leads.
"We're hoping people see the vehicle," Bertagna said. "We believe there's damage to the vehicle, more than likely to the right front and possibly the front."
The family said they hope the driver surrenders to police.
Anyone with information on the case was asked to call Santa Ana police at (714) 245-8665.
hit and run, caught on tape, orange county news, leanne suter
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 29 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 17 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 35 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis