Orange County News
Orange County welcomes new Catholic bishop
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange, the nation's fastest growing Catholic diocese, has a new leader.
The Most Rev. Kevin Vann was formally installed as the fourth bishop of Orange Monday in a liturgy in the Bren Events Center at the University of California, Irvine.
Bishop Vann succeeds retiring Bishop Tod Brown. He has been serving as bishop of Fort Worth and is known for his staunch opposition to abortion and defense of immigrant rights.
"It's just great having a bishop who's willing to come in here and be collaborative and get all these communities involved and continue what Bishop Brown has been able to do," said Lincoln Nguyen of Garden Grove.
Bishop Vann is fluent in Spanish and Vietnamese. His parish is Christ Cathedral in Garden Grove, formerly the Crystal Cathedral.
orange county news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)