Orange County News
2 suspects sought in San Juan Capistrano mayor attack
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (KABC) -- The mayor of San Juan Capistrano is home resting Tuesday after suffering cuts and bruises in a brutal attack.
Authorities say Mayor John Taylor was assaulted on Old Los Rios Road near the train station Saturday around 11:30 p.m.
The mayor was walking home from a holiday party with his wife, Marianne, when two suspects reportedly knocked the mayor to the ground and then began kicking and punching him.
"They heard someone walking behind them, so they moved aside, hoping they would walk by them, but, instead, one of the men punched the mayor in the face and knocked him to the ground," Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department said.
Investigators believe the attack was random. The suspects did not demand or take anything from the mayor or his wife during the assault. They fled after Marianna, who was not hurt, shouted for help, telling the attackers they were beating up the mayor.
Authorities have not made any arrests.
The suspects were described as two Hispanic males, standing around 6 feet tall, and weighing about 220 pounds.
Anyone with information regarding the attack was urged to contact the Orange County Sheriff's Department at (714) 628-7170.
CNS contributed to this report.
orange county news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 24 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 51 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 13 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 17 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 19 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
53 min ago