Orange County News
Man charged in Newport Beach's Fashion Island shooting
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man accused of firing dozens of gunshots outside a Newport Beach shopping mall last weekend has been linked to several other shootings in Southern California.
On Tuesday, Marcos Gurrola was charged with 54 counts of discharging a gun in public for the Saturday shooting at Fashion Island. No one was struck.
Prosecutors call Gurrola a danger to the public. Prosecutors also allege Gurrola told investigators he was involved in 10 other shootings in Orange County between April and December, including firing shots into the air two times near Disneyland.
Investigators allege the 42 year old has twice fired shots at the Fashion Island shopping mall in Newport Beach.
"This was essentially terrorizing that community at Fashion Island by his actions," said prosecutor Robert Mestman. "Especially after the Connecticut shooting, anyone who hears any gunshots, let alone 54 gunshots, is going to cause a panic."
No one was shot, but Gurrola was also charged with aggravated assault after a mother and her young daughter suffered minor injurious after being pushed by frightened shoppers.
Gurrola, a licensed security guard who is not authorized to carry a gun for work, surrendered to police.
Prosecutors allege he escaped unnoticed in 2011 after doing the same thing at Fashion Island. They said he pulled up in his car and discharged his handgun into the air.
According to documents, Gurrola told investigators he never aimed at anyone and fired his gun when he felt angry.
Gurrola is being held without bail. He will be back in court in January.
shooting, court case, arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 3 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 31 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break