Orange County News
Costa Mesa cancels plans to lay off 70 workers
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- The city of Costa Mesa officially canceled plans to lay off 70 workers.
The layoffs were part of the controversial plan to outsource the jobs to save the city money. The city is sending letters to the affected workers.
"I know this period has been difficult for you, your department and the city, and I appreciate your professionalism through it all," wrote City Chief Executive Officer Tom Hatch in the letter. "We still have significant budget challenges ahead, but we will work through them together. I hope you, your family and friends have a peaceful and safe holiday season."
The city council also asked the Costa Mesa City Employees Association to drop the lawsuit it filed to prevent the outsourcing and layoffs.
orange county news
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup 2 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle 14 min ago
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen 46 min ago
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video