Orange County News
OC councilman wants to arm school staff to increase security
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (KABC) -- The shooting in Connecticut has sparked a new conversation about school security. While some are pushing for stricter gun control, others believe teachers should be armed.
The controversial debate has hit close to home. San Juan Capistrano City Councilman Derek Reeve is calling on local schools to increase security by arming willing and trained staff members.
Reeve said he has sat in local classrooms, and he feels there is no deterrent to a shooter intent on doing harm. However, arming trained staffers may help in certain emergency situations.
"It is impossible to legislate away evil however we can establish procedures to deter and delay the unlikelihood of an attack," Reeve said.
This practice is already in place in parts of Texas.
Teachers in Harrold, Texas have been carrying guns for years. Harrold Independent School District Superintendent David Thweatt said all teachers who do carry weapons must have a concealed handgun license, get approved by the school board and undergo additional training for accuracy.
Thweatt told ABC News that schools are targeted since they are unprotected, and insisted that teachers have the right to defend their classrooms. Harrold is a small town with only 103 children and one school district. Arming teachers is a deterrent never deployed in a large district.
ABC News contributed to this report.
school, orange county news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law 23 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
48 min ago