Orange County News
OC police, Spark of Love brighten holiday for family who lost daughter
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- It was a grand arrival to surprise 7-year-old Grecia Meza and her parents, Eloisa Magana and Jorge Meza, in a gesture to help brighten the holidays after they lost 5-year-old Osmara.
Osmara was killed in June while crossing the street in a crosswalk with her mom and her sister. Jessica Cowan, a suspected drunk driver, allegedly ran a red light, ploughed into them, then kept driving until a good Samaritan stopped her. Cowan has pleaded not guilty.
The crash left Grecia with head injuries. Magana remained in a coma for nearly two months. She says she has undergone physical therapy, but she has memory problems because of the brain injury.
Speaking in Spanish, Magana says she gets emotional. She feels Osmara is with them but she would love to be able to hold her.
It has been especially hard for the family since Meza had to quit his job to help his wife.
The Santa Ana Police Foundation and the Spark of Love Toy Drive wanted to help.
"There were a lot of Santa's helpers that collected the toys and brought them in here, so there's a lot of toys for Grecia," said Orange County Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion.
Grecia says she asked Santa for an iPod, and says she is happy with what's she's received so far.
"Hello Kitty, crayons and pens and a board," she said.
Some of the toys remind her of her sister.
"She would love it," Grecia said. "She would play with me. But I don't have her anymore."
Her father says he's happy and thankful to still have his wife and daughter, and he is grateful to the community for the act of kindness.
christmas, hit and run, spark of love toy drive, orange county news, eileen frere
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 17 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 10 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 1 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)