Orange County News
OC police, Spark of Love brighten holiday for family who lost daughter
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- It was a grand arrival to surprise 7-year-old Grecia Meza and her parents, Eloisa Magana and Jorge Meza, in a gesture to help brighten the holidays after they lost 5-year-old Osmara.
Osmara was killed in June while crossing the street in a crosswalk with her mom and her sister. Jessica Cowan, a suspected drunk driver, allegedly ran a red light, ploughed into them, then kept driving until a good Samaritan stopped her. Cowan has pleaded not guilty.
The crash left Grecia with head injuries. Magana remained in a coma for nearly two months. She says she has undergone physical therapy, but she has memory problems because of the brain injury.
Speaking in Spanish, Magana says she gets emotional. She feels Osmara is with them but she would love to be able to hold her.
It has been especially hard for the family since Meza had to quit his job to help his wife.
The Santa Ana Police Foundation and the Spark of Love Toy Drive wanted to help.
"There were a lot of Santa's helpers that collected the toys and brought them in here, so there's a lot of toys for Grecia," said Orange County Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion.
Grecia says she asked Santa for an iPod, and says she is happy with what's she's received so far.
"Hello Kitty, crayons and pens and a board," she said.
Some of the toys remind her of her sister.
"She would love it," Grecia said. "She would play with me. But I don't have her anymore."
Her father says he's happy and thankful to still have his wife and daughter, and he is grateful to the community for the act of kindness.
christmas, hit and run, spark of love toy drive, orange county news, eileen frere
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis