Orange County News
Last-minute donors save Eli Home from closing
ANAHEIM HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A home for women and children in Anaheim Hills has been spared from closing down thanks to last-minute donors.
The Eli Home was slated for closure if it could not raise $200,000 by the end of December. Officials said they have seen donations drop off over the years because many of the home's major contributors are focusing more on supporting permanent housing and not transitional shelters.
But some generous donors came through with gifts from $1 up to help save the home last-minute.
"They came from young and old, rich and poor, individuals and businesses. We are overwhelmed by everyone's kindness," said Fernando Negrete, Eli Home president.
The money will be used to pay debt and create a reserve account going into 2013, according to a statement from the home.
The Eli Home has been in operation for nearly 30 years and has helped many women and children in emergency situations.
orange county news
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 49 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 51 min ago
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling 38 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 31 min ago