Orange County News
Last-minute donors save Eli Home from closing
ANAHEIM HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A home for women and children in Anaheim Hills has been spared from closing down thanks to last-minute donors.
The Eli Home was slated for closure if it could not raise $200,000 by the end of December. Officials said they have seen donations drop off over the years because many of the home's major contributors are focusing more on supporting permanent housing and not transitional shelters.
But some generous donors came through with gifts from $1 up to help save the home last-minute.
"They came from young and old, rich and poor, individuals and businesses. We are overwhelmed by everyone's kindness," said Fernando Negrete, Eli Home president.
The money will be used to pay debt and create a reserve account going into 2013, according to a statement from the home.
The Eli Home has been in operation for nearly 30 years and has helped many women and children in emergency situations.
orange county news
- Funeral service underway for LAPD Officer Lee 9 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea 23 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini