Orange County News
Drunken sailor passes out, boat runs aground off Laguna Beach, Coast Guard says
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An intoxicated sailor was arrested Sunday afternoon after he passed out and his boat ran aground off the coast of Laguna Beach, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
Authorities first got the call about a sailboat grounded at Cleo Street Beach around 3:38 p.m. It was listing to its starboard side in the surf zone with the engine still running.
Officials said the sailor, identified as 47-year-old Stephen Michael Fryer of San Diego, appeared to be intoxicated and refused orders to exit the vessel. He was eventually taken off the boat by lifeguards. He did not suffer any injuries, and no one else was on the boat, which was named "Why Knot."
Fryer was booked on suspicion of boating under the influence of alcohol. Officials were not able to tow the approximately 30-foot long sailboat, possibly because the keel was stuck in the sand.
There was no indication of an oil or fuel leak, officials said. As of Monday morning, they were still trying to get the boat off the beach.
accident, orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 56 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies 24 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video