Orange County News
Drunken sailor passes out, boat runs aground off Laguna Beach, Coast Guard says
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An intoxicated sailor was arrested Sunday afternoon after he passed out and his boat ran aground off the coast of Laguna Beach, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
Authorities first got the call about a sailboat grounded at Cleo Street Beach around 3:38 p.m. It was listing to its starboard side in the surf zone with the engine still running.
Officials said the sailor, identified as 47-year-old Stephen Michael Fryer of San Diego, appeared to be intoxicated and refused orders to exit the vessel. He was eventually taken off the boat by lifeguards. He did not suffer any injuries, and no one else was on the boat, which was named "Why Knot."
Fryer was booked on suspicion of boating under the influence of alcohol. Officials were not able to tow the approximately 30-foot long sailboat, possibly because the keel was stuck in the sand.
There was no indication of an oil or fuel leak, officials said. As of Monday morning, they were still trying to get the boat off the beach.
accident, orange county news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 54 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 32 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 28 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 4 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour