Orange County News
Drunken sailor passes out, boat runs aground off Laguna Beach, Coast Guard says
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An intoxicated sailor was arrested Sunday afternoon after he passed out and his boat ran aground off the coast of Laguna Beach, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
Authorities first got the call about a sailboat grounded at Cleo Street Beach around 3:38 p.m. It was listing to its starboard side in the surf zone with the engine still running.
Officials said the sailor, identified as 47-year-old Stephen Michael Fryer of San Diego, appeared to be intoxicated and refused orders to exit the vessel. He was eventually taken off the boat by lifeguards. He did not suffer any injuries, and no one else was on the boat, which was named "Why Knot."
Fryer was booked on suspicion of boating under the influence of alcohol. Officials were not able to tow the approximately 30-foot long sailboat, possibly because the keel was stuck in the sand.
There was no indication of an oil or fuel leak, officials said. As of Monday morning, they were still trying to get the boat off the beach.
accident, orange county news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis