Orange County News
Yorba Linda burglaries spur increased patrols as OC Sheriff's Dept. takes over law enforcement
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Orange County Sheriff's Department has taken over law-enforcement duties in Yorba Linda, leading to an immediate increase in patrols. Deputies are trying to stop a plague of burglaries.
There have been dozens of burglary victims in Yorba Linda. Thieves broke into 35 homes last month alone, stealing mainly jewelry and electronics.
"It's forced entry into residences," said OC Sheriff's Lt. Bob Wren. "It's a real problem. I've lived here for a long time and it's the worst that I know of, so we want to make sure we take care of it right away."
The Orange County Sheriff's Department just took over policing for Yorba Linda after more than 40 years under the Brea Police Dept. Sheriff's deputies are increasing patrols.
Authorities say most of the burglaries happened during the day between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
In a few cases, the break-ins happened in the early evening. Authorities say that's dangerous because there's a greater chance residents could arrive home while burglars are still in the house.
After having about $30,000 worth of valuables, mostly jewelry, stolen, one local family improved their alarm system and plan to install security cameras. Other residents are also being cautious and watching out for strangers.
"If they aren't a regular in the neighborhood, just to be aware and also to contact the sheriff's department if something looks suspicious," said Yorba Linda resident Allison Clewett. "It can't hurt to be a little more safe than sorry."
If you have any information about the burglaries, call the Orange County Sheriff's Department at (714) 647-7000.
burglary, orange county news, eileen frere
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 48 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 34 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
21 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
40 min ago