Orange County News
Irvine apartment fire: Would-be thief targets evacuated home
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A small fire broke out Wednesday night at an apartment complex in Irvine, and authorities said a would-be thief is on the run.
The fire happened around 8:30 p.m. at the leasing office of an apartment complex on the 2300 block of Dupont Drive.Tenants evacuated as firefighters arrived. The fire was quickly extinguished and damage to the building was minimal.
When one man returned to his apartment, he found a would-be thief inside the home. The suspect pepper-sprayed the resident and fled. The man was treated at the scene and is expected to be OK. No one else was hurt.
The suspect was described as a heavy-set Hispanic man, about 6 feet tall with curly hair and a distinct mole on his face. He was wearing a leather jacket.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Irvine Police Department.
fire, orange county news
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks