Orange County News
OC Great Park audit: Irvine council votes yes
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Irvine City Council voted for an audit and reorganization of plans for the Orange County Great Park.
Since 2002, $220 million have been spent on the financially beleaguered park. In an effort to turn things around, Irvine City Council members cleaned house during Wednesday night's eight-hour meeting.
They voted in favor of taking a closer look at the park's books since 2005 and getting rid of nearly half of its board members.
The council also terminated contracts with two firms that were paid millions for consulting and marketing.
Members were slated to meet sometime Thursday to select new leadership for the Great Park's Board of Directors - a new chair and a new vice chair were expected to be elected.
Officials had intended to turn the former military base into one of the nation's largest urban parks before financial problems slowed plans.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 40 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 2 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 1 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 10 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 15 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...