Orange County News
High-tech helium airship in OC to soar soon
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A high-tech helium airship made in an Orange County hangar looks like something from a science fiction movie set.
Though it may look surreal, the airship will take to the skies in the next few months.
It was constructed inside a hangar in Tustin by the Aeros Company under contract from the Pentagon and NASA.
It's a prototype for a larger airship that's designed to carry 66 tons of cargo.
The rigid frame is made of aluminum and carbon fiber, and it combines features of an airship and an airplane.
nasa, orange county news
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt 4 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 1 min ago
- 21 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 27 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis