Orange County News
Car hits baby, father at bus stop in Orange
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- A father and his toddler were struck by a car in the city of Orange on Saturday afternoon. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital and the father was in critical condition.
The incident happened around 3:35 p.m. at Taft Avenue and Tustin Street. Police said a 29-year-old man driving an SUV was heading southbound on Tustin Street when, according to the driver, another car cut him off, causing him to lose control of his SUV. Police said driver steered the vehicle to the side to avoid oncoming traffic and careened into a bus stop where the father, his 3-year-old girl in a stroller and the girl's mother were at.
The girl died of her injuries and the father was in an induced coma. He was expected to survive. The mother was not hurt.
The driver, who had his 5-year-old son in the SUV at the time, was fully cooperative, police said. Neither were hurt.
Police said they don't believe alcohol played a factor. It's unclear whether the driver would face charges.
Witnesses said they ran to help the father and child, who were trapped underneath the wreckage.
Louanne Robison said she was traveling a few cars behind the SUV when she saw it swerve.
"All of a sudden he started going a little bit faster and just veered right towards the bus bench and it was a mess," Robison said.
car crash, orange county news, amy powell
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 21 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 11 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
43 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
51 min ago