Orange County News
Car hits baby, father at bus stop in Orange
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- A father and his toddler were struck by a car in the city of Orange on Saturday afternoon. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital and the father was in critical condition.
The incident happened around 3:35 p.m. at Taft Avenue and Tustin Street. Police said a 29-year-old man driving an SUV was heading southbound on Tustin Street when, according to the driver, another car cut him off, causing him to lose control of his SUV. Police said driver steered the vehicle to the side to avoid oncoming traffic and careened into a bus stop where the father, his 3-year-old girl in a stroller and the girl's mother were at.
The girl died of her injuries and the father was in an induced coma. He was expected to survive. The mother was not hurt.
The driver, who had his 5-year-old son in the SUV at the time, was fully cooperative, police said. Neither were hurt.
Police said they don't believe alcohol played a factor. It's unclear whether the driver would face charges.
Witnesses said they ran to help the father and child, who were trapped underneath the wreckage.
Louanne Robison said she was traveling a few cars behind the SUV when she saw it swerve.
"All of a sudden he started going a little bit faster and just veered right towards the bus bench and it was a mess," Robison said.
car crash, orange county news, amy powell
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 15 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 37 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere