Orange County News
Injunction issued against Anaheim gang
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A gang injunction was issued against a violent Anaheim street gang, the Orange County District Attorney's Office announced Wednesday. The injunction is a cooperative effort between the OCDA and the Anaheim Police Dept.
The injunction was signed by Judge Charles Margines. Anaheim Police will enforce the injunction. This is the 12th gang injunction issued against Orange County gangs, and the fourth in the city of Anaheim.
Wednesday's injunction is the result of legal and investigative work that was begun in March 2012 following years of violent gang crime and residents' complaints.
A gang injunction is a civil order that restricts or prohibits documented gang members from congregating in designated zones of the city. If a gang member violates the terms, which target intimidation and harassment, he or she may be arrested and face prosecution.
The Anaheim gang targeted in the latest injunction has been active since the 1980s and involves about 70 to 80 members, according to the OCDA. Fifty-four of the most active members have been identified by police. The gang was not identified.
A 1-square mile area makes up the Safety Zone, which is located south of Orangethorpe Avenue, west of State College Boulevard, north of Sycamore Street, and east of East Street/Raymond Avenue. This Safety Zone is primarily in the City of Anaheim, with a small portion extending into the City of Fullerton.
According to the OCDA, in Orange County there are currently 11 other permanent gang injunctions in the cities of Anaheim, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Orange, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, and Stanton. As a result of the injunctions, crime has been significantly reduced in the Safety Zones by as much as 65 percent, the OCDA said.
gang activity, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 14 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police 38 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 39 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video 8 min ago
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants