Orange County News
Santa Ana attempted kidnapping suspects sought
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for two suspects in the attempted kidnapping of a 7-year-old boy in Santa Ana.
The alleged incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. Monday on the 4500 block of West Kent Avenue.
Police say two female suspects were waiting in their minivan around the corner from Newhope Elementary School as kids walked home from school.
According to Santa Ana police Sgt. Anthony Bertagna, the two predators yelled at the 7-year-old boy to get in the van and attempted to bribe him with ice cream.
"She confronts our victim, tells him to come over, she has ice cream in the car for him. His attention's drawn to her," Bertagna said. "He then hears the driver tell the passenger to 'just get him in the car.'"
The passenger reached for the victim, but the boy was able to back up and run away. Both suspects reportedly spoke in Spanish.
The driver was described as a Hispanic female, between 30 to 40 years old with a heavy build, fair complexion, wrinkles and long brown hair. She was driving a gold minivan with dirty rims and rust marks, possible lower wooden trim, and a sliding side door. The vehicle's body style was similar to that of a Toyota Sienna.
The passenger was described as a Hispanic female in her 40s with a medium build, olive complexion, short brown wavy hair and numerous freckles or moles on her face.
Other sixth graders reported seeing the same vehicle parked in the same location on Monday. The vehicle was also seen on Sunday in the same area by a student.
Anyone with information on the attempted kidnapping was asked to contact Santa Ana police at (714) 245-8390.
kidnap, orange county news, leanne suter
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 46 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 10 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 46 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'