Orange County News
Laguna Niguel woman fatally shot by husband; husband questioned and released
LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (KABC) -- A Laguna Niguel man called the Orange County Sheriff's Department Friday morning to report that shot his 24-year-old wife.
Johanna Wade was shot inside her apartment on the 31000 block of Pacific Island Drive. Her 25-year-old husband identified himself as the shooter to authorities at about 1:30 a.m. Friday.
"The call apparently came from the 25-year-old male, the husband of the victim. He stated he shot his wife," said Orange County Sheriff Department spokesman Jim Amormino. The neighbors identified the man as "Kyle."
Deputies arrived and attempted to perform CPR on the woman. She was then rushed to Mission Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. She was identified as Johanna Wade, a dental assistant. She had been shot once in the torso.
"We know the call came in. We know he stated he shot her. Of course the big question is why," said Amormino.
The man was cooperative while being questioned by sheriff's investigators. He was subsequently released. Investigators said it could have been an accident, self-defense or it could have been murder.
"The word 'homicide' is just a definition of a killing of a human being by another human being. I don't want 'homicide' confused with 'murder' at this stage in the investigation," said Amormino.
Neighbors in the quiet apartment community say they didn't hear a disturbance or even a shot fired. Another neighbor who knew the couple described them as extremely nice, saying they were never seen arguing.
According to neighbors, the husband worked at a gun shop sporting goods store in Fullerton. Deputies say there has never been a disturbance call to that particular apartment and there were no reports of a fight or argument before that 911 call was made.
The investigation was ongoing.
homicide investigation, shooting, orange county news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book