Orange County News
OC arson-distraction burglary suspect arrested
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A man caught on surveillance video starting a fire at the Axis 2300 apartment complex in Irvine earlier this month has been taken into custody.
Jose Jesus Baca Jr., 36, is suspected of starting fires at two Orange County apartment complexes as distractions while he burglarized residences.
A four-alarm fire brought more than 30 fire engines to a carport at the Camden Apartments on Associated Road in Fullerton on Jan. 20 at 8:30 p.m. Evidence pointed to arson. More than 10 apartment units were damaged.
During the fire, a female resident nearby chased a burglary suspect out of her apartment. Residents unsuccessfully attempted to detain the man. They gave authorities a detailed description of the suspect and the license plate number of his motorcycle.
A similar arson-burglary was perpetrated in Irvine on Jan. 9.
The Fullerton and Irvine police departments conducted a joint investigation to track down the suspect. Detectives located the suspect, Baca, at a hotel in Brea and arrested him on Jan. 22.
Baca was held at the Orange County Jail on charges of arson, burglary and possession of narcotics, on $1 million bond.
arson, fire, orange county news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 57 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment 34 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 19 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 13 min ago
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94 3 min ago
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis