Orange County News
Prosecutors must disclose jailhouse audio in salon massacre
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge ruled that prosecutors in the Seal Beach salon massacre case must give the defense more information about a jailhouse recording in a court hearing Friday.
Scott Dekraii is charged with murdering eight people at Salon Meritage in October 2011. The suspect is accused of murdering his ex-wife, Michelle Fournier, in the deadly shooting rampage and is also facing the death penalty.
The focus in Friday's court hearing was regarding jailhouse recordings in which Dekraii allegedly talked about the shootings with an informant.
Defense attorneys wanted more information about the informant. Prosecutors objected, saying they only planned to play the recordings and not call the informant to testify. The evidence would have been more valuable to them in the death penalty phase in the trial.
"I don't think the prosecution needs any more evidence," Dekraii's ex-wife's brother, Butch Fournier, said. "I think the evidence is there. Again, we're not at a whodunnit. That's the hardest part of a layman to realize, we're not at a whodunit. We know who did it."
The recording was taped in October 2011, about a week following the Oct. 12, 20111 shooting that claimed eight victims. The shooting rampage is known as the worst mass killing in Orange County history.
shooting, murder, court case, orange county news
- Man allegedly shoots, kills sister, wife
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Holiday crackdown on jaywalking in downtown LA
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing 20 min ago
- House GOP signal support for budget deal
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Photos: ABC7 viewers share holiday photos
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Jason Clarke in talks for 'Terminator' reboot 7 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
9 min ago