Orange County News
Prosecutors must disclose jailhouse audio in salon massacre
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge ruled that prosecutors in the Seal Beach salon massacre case must give the defense more information about a jailhouse recording in a court hearing Friday.
Scott Dekraii is charged with murdering eight people at Salon Meritage in October 2011. The suspect is accused of murdering his ex-wife, Michelle Fournier, in the deadly shooting rampage and is also facing the death penalty.
The focus in Friday's court hearing was regarding jailhouse recordings in which Dekraii allegedly talked about the shootings with an informant.
Defense attorneys wanted more information about the informant. Prosecutors objected, saying they only planned to play the recordings and not call the informant to testify. The evidence would have been more valuable to them in the death penalty phase in the trial.
"I don't think the prosecution needs any more evidence," Dekraii's ex-wife's brother, Butch Fournier, said. "I think the evidence is there. Again, we're not at a whodunnit. That's the hardest part of a layman to realize, we're not at a whodunit. We know who did it."
The recording was taped in October 2011, about a week following the Oct. 12, 20111 shooting that claimed eight victims. The shooting rampage is known as the worst mass killing in Orange County history.
shooting, murder, court case, orange county news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 30 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India 38 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video