Orange County News
Santa Ana remains believed to be that of suspect's elderly father, police say
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man police arrested in connection to the human remains found in a Santa Ana backyard has been charged, but not with murder.
Police initially arrested Larry Thomas Dominguez, 65, on suspicion of murder after a couple unearthed human remains from a home Dominguez used to own. The discovery was made Sunday in the 2500 block of North Hesperian Street.
Cpl. Anthony Bertagna with the Santa Ana Police Department said detectives believe the remains are that of Dominguez's 83-year-old father, Wallace Benjamin Dominguez.
Police said they suspected Dominguez of murder because of statements he made to detectives while being interviewed. But on Tuesday, the Orange County District Attorney's Office filed a grand theft charge against Dominguez. Authorities said it appears the suspect has been collecting his father's Social Security benefit checks in excess of $100,000.
"It is believed by our detectives that since at least 2005, the suspect in this case has been collecting and cashing checks from benefits that were attributed to his father," said Bertagna. "There is no indication that there is a death certificate or death record of the father. Our belief is that he has been deceased since at least 2005."
Authorities said they are not ruling out the possibility that the suspect could face murder charges, but that will depend on what the coroner determines as the cause of death.
homicide investigation, arrest, orange county news, leo stallworth
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 40 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
21 min ago